IMPORTANT COMPETITOR INFORMATION
Please take the time to read this important information regarding event day.
***** The event number for race day is Oceanpaddler mobile 0422 554 965. We strongly advise that you take your mobile phone with this
number in it.
*****Make sure you have the required safety equipment as outlined below and on the website. Random checks will take place.
***** The start location is at Milson Park, Kirribilli – the same as last year. We strongly recommend you are dropped at the start as there is minimal parking available at Milson Park. See further details below.
***** Footwear is recommended at the start where you will launch your craft. Pleae take care when doing this.
***** If you have a DOCTOR or 20 BEACHES yellow race shirt please wear this in the race. Not only will you be supporting our sponsors but you will also be wearing hi-vis which is important for safety.
Forecast for 8am Sunday morning is around 6-8 knot winds from the North East. At present there is no significant wave height.
- Registrations will take place on both Saturday at Oceanpaddler and Sunday at Milson Park, Kirribilli as outlined below. You only need to register once on either Saturday or Sunday. By registering on Saturday you will avoid the crowds and will not have to line up on Sunday.
- 12.00 – 4.00pm on Saturday Oceanpaddler Warehouse – Unit 12, 410 Pittwater Rd, North Manly. Please do not turn up before 12 as we will not be ready.
- 6.00 – 7.00am on Sunday at Milson Park, Kirribilli – the start location. Registrations will close at 7 am. Please don’t be late.
- *** IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE – If you register on Saturday then decide not to race on Sunday morning you must TEXT the event number 0422 554 965 to be withdrawn from the event. This is extremely important so we know exactly who is on the water racing.
STAT LOCATION – MILSON PARK, KIRRIBILLI
The start of the race and registration will take place at Milson Park, Kirribilli. Google map.
Milson Park is surrounded by residential housing. We ask that you please keep noise to a minimum during registration.
There is limited parking so it is best to be dropped off at the start.
There will be a ‘Drop Off Zone‘ on Mc Dougall street where you can be dropped off with your craft. Please ensure this is done quickly to avoid any traffic issues. We will have a traffic marshall in place. Please listen to their direction so it is a smooth process.
The Flying Bear Cafe at Milson Park will be open from 6.30am to grab a coffee prior to the race.
RACE BRIEFING – 7.15am
- Compulsory race briefing for all competitors will be at Milson Park at 7.15am.
- Please ensure you listen to the final instructions.
- Registrations will close at 7am prior to the race briefing.
SAFETY EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
- All competitors must wear an approved minimum Level 50 Lifejacket. Your lifejacket must be HI-VIS or brightly coloured for visibility. No black or dull colour lifejackets will be permitted. An approved Level 50S Lifejacket can only be worn with a Hi-Vis shirt over the top.
- Prone Paddleboard competitors only are permitted to wear an approved Level 100/150 Inflatable bum bag Lifejacket.
- Safety Leash – These are required by competitors to maintain contact with their craft, which can be particularly difficult during high winds, or if someone should fall from their craft. (Coastal rowers and sea kayaks are exempt).
- Electronic Timing Chip – Provided at registration
- Mobile Phone highly recommended – In case you pull out and need to call the race officials to be withdrawn from the event (call the event number 0422 554 965)
EVENT START TIMES
There will be three (3) start waves starting from approx 7.50am. This may vary so please listen at the race briefing. Please ensure you know what start wave you are in and give yourself plenty of time to get to the start line. The start line is an approx 5min paddle from the launch area. The start line location will be detailed at the breifing.
- Wave 1: 7.50am – SUPs, Prone Paddleboards and and Coastal Rowers all genders
- Wave 2: 7.55am – Women Ski, Women SeaKayak, OC1 all genders and Plastic craft all genders
- Wave 3: 8.00am – Men Single Skis, Men Sea Kayaks and all Doubles
CUT OFF TIMES
- 9.00am – Cutoff time at Bradleys Head (approx 3kms from Start)
- 10.00am – Cutoff time at Middle Head (approx 3.5kms from Bradleys Head 6.5kms from Start)
Competitors will be called out to the start line in wave order. Please listen to the direction of staff.
Do not break the start or you will be disqualified. If you do not think you are a top contender please do not position yourself on the front line.
If you do not make these cut off times you will be asked to go ashore at the nearest safe location. We strongly advise that you take your mobile phone so you can call us to advise you have withdrawn and to call your support person to collect you.
Competitors will paddle directly to Bradleys Head from the start.
Competitors must keep well clear of the channel from Bradleys Head to Middle Head. This means keeping all Green Channel markers in this area on your right hand side.
You must keep the Black and yellow buoy located east off Dobroyd Head on your right-hand side. (pass on the left of it)
Please follow the direction of safety and official boats at all times.