IMPORTANT COMPETITOR INFORMATION
Please take the time to read this important information regarding event day.
*****Make sure your leash is adequate for the predicted wind strength.
When on the water, please ensure you listen to the direction of the safety and race officials at all times and follow the race course (see details below). Stay out of the main channel at all times when paddling by keeping all green buoys on your right hand side.
Weather update from BOM.
Winds – North to northwesterly 10 to 15 knots shifting to southerly 15 to 25 knots early in the morning tending south easterly in the evening.
Seas – Below 0.5m
Weather – Cloudy. 95% chance of showers.
- Registrations will be take place on both Saturday at Oceanpaddler and Sunday at Blues Point Reserve as outlined below. You only need to register once on either Saturday or Sunday. By registering on Saturday you will avoid the crowds and will not have to line up on Sunday.
- Registrations will take place:
- 12.00 – 5.00pm on Saturday at the Oceanpaddler store located at 410 Pittwater Rd, North Manly. Ph 02 8065 0385. Please don’t turn up before 12pm as we will not be ready.
- 6.00 – 7.00am on Sunday at Blues Point Reserve, the start location.
- All competitors will receive an official 2018 Australian Ocean Racing Series hat provided by Shaw and Partners. Please wear this in the race so we can identify you as a competitor.
- *** IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE – If you register on Saturday then decide not to race on Sunday morning you must TEXT either Dean Gardiner 0427 171 403 or Yanda Morison 0414 45 46 48 to advise and be withdrawn from the event. This is extremely important so we know exactly who is on the water racing.
- Registrations will close at 7am. Please don’t be late.
- Compulsory race briefing for all competitors will be at Blues Point Reserve at 7am.
- Registrations will close at 7am prior to the race briefing.
SAFETY EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
- All competitors must wear an approved minimum Level 50 Lifejacket. Your lifejacket must be HI-VIS or brightly coloured for visibility. No black or dull colour lifejackets will be permitted. An approved Level 50S Lifejacket can only be worn with a Hi-Vis shirt over the top.
- Prone Paddleboard competitors only are permitted to wear an approved Level 100/150 Inflatable bum bag Lifejacket. Oceanpaddler will have these available to purchase or hire. Please contact us prior to reserve one.
- Click here for a list of approved lifejackets
- Safety Leash – These are required by competitors to maintain contact with their craft, which can be particularly difficult during high winds, or if someone should fall from their craft. (Coastal rowers and sea kayaks are exempt).
- Electronic Timing Chip – Provided at registration
- Mobile Phone recommended – In case you pull out and need to call the race officials to be withdrawn from the event (Dean Gardiner on 0427 171 403 or Yanda Morison on 0414 454 648).
WARM UP AREA & MARSHALLING FOR START
As there is limited space to enter the water at Blues Point please do this quickly to allow all competitors ample time to make it to the start.
All competitors must warm up inside Lavendar Bay and not in the main shipping channel.
Competitors will be called out to the start line to correspond with the start waves as listed below.
The start line will be approx 100m before the Harbour Bridge just outside of Lavendar Bay.
Any competitors outside of Lavender Bay prior to their designated race start will be disqualified from the event.
EVENT START TIMES
There will be five (5) start waves starting from approx 07:30am. The final start times will be announced at the briefing. Please ensure you know what start wave you are in.
Competitors will be called out to the start line in wave order. Please listen to the direction of staff.
Do not break the start or you will be disqualified.
If you do not think you are a top contender please do not position yourself on the front line.
Wave 1: SUPs and Prone Paddleboards all genders
Wave 2: Coastal Rowers
Wave 3: Women Single Ocean and SLSA Surf Skis, all genders Plastic craft, Sea Kayaks, OC1, OC3, OC6
Wave 4: Men Single Ocean and SLSA Surf Skis
Wave 5: All Doubles and OC2’s all genders
CUT OFF TIMES
- 9.30am – Cutoff time at Bradleys Head (3.29kms from Start)
- 10.15am – Cutoff time at Middle Head (3.55kms from Bradleys Head 6.84kms from Start)
If you do not make these cut off times a safety official will advise and endeavour to get you and your craft the finish line. Depending on weather conditions you may be dropped off at the closest accessible beach and your support crew will need to collect you. We will relay this information to the finish line. For this reason, we recommend carrying a mobile phone.
Make sure you listen to the direction of the safety and race officials at all times and follow the race course.
All competitors must pass the following buoys and safety vessels by keeping the buoys to their right.
- Safety vessel located 50m off Kirribilli Point
- Safety vessel located at Athol Bay offshore from Taronga Zoo (the safety vessel replaces the previous flat white disc buoy that used to be in Athol Bay)
- Safety vessel located 50m off Bradleys Point
- Black and yellow buoy over 1 mtr high east off Dobroyd Head
Competitors must keep well clear of the channel from Bradleys Head to Middle Head. This means keeping all Green Channel markers in this area on your right hand side.
By going to these safety vessells and buoys you will stay clear of the ferry channels.
Please follow the direction of safety and official boats.