Shaw and Partners
North Bondi Surf Ski Classic
7th October 2023
Due to big surf at Bondi expected tomorrow, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the Shaw and Partners North Bondi Surf Ski Classic for 2023.
Our feeling and the advice we have received, will see dangerous conditions for both people and craft to finish at North Bondi. We don’t believe other course options are an alternative.
While a large number of the field would be capable of making it to the beach safely, the risk of extensive craft damage is very high along with a large number of people being in the water, off their ski, at the same time as wayward craft.
Your entry will be deferred to the 2024 event or we will offer refunds to paddlers that require them. If you would like a refund please email us. firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your understanding.
The Shaw and Partners North Bondi Surf Ski Classic will see a world class field racing to Australia’s most famous stretch of sand. Organisers will do everything they can to try and make this event favourable to paddlers by offering two possible start locations. After the race the post race festivities will be hosted by North Bondi Surf Club.
$10,000 CASH & PRIZES
Enter for your chance to win one of two RACE ONE PADDLES.
One male and one female competitor will be the lucky winners.
(To be eligible you must be present at presentation that will take place after the race).
The event will have two start options. Distances are approximately 11-13km.
SW, S, SE Winds – The race will start at Malabar and finish at North Bondi.
W, NW, N, NE, E Winds – The Race will start at Watsons Bay and finish at North Bondi.
In the case of big surf conditions, we will have a course in Sydney Harbour. The contingency course will be used if wind or/and swell exceed our event parameters or if conditions on the beach at North Bondi are deemed to be too dangerous.
Full course maps can be seen here.
6.00am to 7.00am – Event Registration at North Bondi SLSC (regardless of final course the regos will take place at the surf club)
7.45am – Race Briefing at race start location
8.00am – Race Start
The race will finish at North Bondi Surf Club (small run finish).
Presentations will take place after the event at North Bondi Surf Club approximately 40 minutes after the last competitor.
Please check final event information which will be emailed and posted on our website and facebook for final event day times.
up to 31st August 2023
|Standard Entry |
1st Sept to 29th Sept 2023
|Late Entry 30th Sept to 6th October 2023|
|Junior and Under 23 Individuals||$50||$65||$80|
|All other individuals||$70||$95||$125|
The AORS Categories will be used and AORS points will be awarded.
Competitors age is as of 31/12/2023. That is the age bracket the competitor is turning in the 2023 calendar year.
- Junior Ski (15-18yrs)
- Under 23 Ski (19-23yrs)
- Ski Open (24-39yrs)
- Over 40 Ski (40-49yrs)
- Over 50 Ski (50-59yrs)
- Over 60 Ski (50-59yrs)
- Over 70 Ski (70+yrs)
- SLSA Spec Ski’s (all ages)
- OC1 (all ages)
- SUP (all ages)
- Prone Paddleboard (all ages)
- Male Double Ski
- Female Double Ski
- Mixed Double Ski
Category note: For prizes and awards there must be at least 5 entries in the category. Where there are less than 5 entries then those competitors will be moved to the next most relevant category.
- All Surf ski, SUP, OC1 competitors must wear an approved Level 50 Lifejacket or greater (hi-vis preferred & recommended). An approved Level 50S Lifejacket can only be worn with a hi-vis shirt over the top. No black or dull colour lifejackets will be permitted. No inflatable bum bag style lifejackets are permitted except for prone paddleboard competitors
- Prone paddleboard competitors only are permitted to wear and approved Level 100 Inflatable bum bag lifejackets. Oceanpaddler will have these available to purchase or hire. Please contact us prior.
- Prone paddleboard competitors must wear a hi-vis shirt.
- All competitors must wear a Safety Leg Leash – a leash that attaches the paddler to the craft
- All competitors must wear the electronic timing chip provided at registration
- It is recommended to wear hi-vis hat / clothing
- It is recommended to carry a mobile phone in a water proof bag
- It is recommended to carry water for the race
A list of approved lifejackets can be found here.
Scrutineering of compulsory equipment may take place at registration on race morning. Please ensure you have the correct equipment
All competitors must abide by the following race rules:
- Wear / carry the mandatory equipment as outlined above
- Register for the event on the morning of the race and collect the timing chip
- Attend the pre-race briefing prior to the start
- Stop and help any other competitor/s in difficulty whilst on the course
- Follow the event course at all times
- Follow the direction of water safety officials at all times
- If a competitor withdraws mid-event they must notify the event officials either in person or by phone to be formally withdrawn from the event. Official contact numbers will be available at registration