Forster Ocean Paddling Camp
Friday 13th to Sunday 15th November 2020
Oceanpaddler in conjunction with My Kayak Coach and proudly supported by Shaw and Partners have put together a 3 day training weekend on the beautiful NSW Mid North Coast. The course will encompass both flat and rough water paddling, ocean paddling and technique theory sessions and will feature some special guests plus a tonne of valuable ocean paddling information.
Over the 3 days you will be coached by the very best in ocean paddling!
Your coaches include Oceanpaddler’s Dean Gardiner and Yanda Morison. Dean is Australia’s most successful ocean paddler and is regarded as the best downwind paddler by his peers, with his reputation backed up by outstanding results including winning the Molokai Ski Challenge 9 times. Yanda has represented Australia at two Olympic Games in Sprint Kayaking, has won numerous ocean paddling events and brings a wealth of technical knowledge to ocean paddling.
My Kayak Coach, Jim Walker, an Olympic Kayak Paddler, outstanding surf lifesaver and the all-round good guy, will share his skills, technique and enthusiasm for ocean paddling.
Location Base: Forster Main Beach, NSW
Below is an outline of the proposed program. This may vary depending on the weather.
Friday, Nov 13th
Friday 11am – Introduction to Surf Ski (Practical) (Location TBC)
- This session will be focussed on looking at how you are set up on your craft, your paddle length and size and some basic technique on the dry.
- We will also see how you manage your craft getting on and off in shallow and deep water.
Friday 4:00pm – Surf awareness (Practical)
- This session will focus on surf entry and exit and will give you an insight into how to navigate through breaking waves.
Friday 6:30pm – Oceanpaddling in a nutshell (Theory)
- This is a thirty-minute talk on what we look for when catching runs and how we go about catching runs.
- We also talk about race plans and how to train for ocean racing.
Saturday, Nov 14th
Saturday 8:00 am – Paddling Technique (Theory and Practical)
- You will be shown the Nuts and Bolts of paddling technique.
Saturday 3:00pm – Long paddle, preferably downwind (Practical)
- If conditions permit we will look at doing a downwind paddle from Blackhead to Forster or vice versa. We will do an out and back course in unfavourable conditions.
Sunday, Nov 15th
Sunday 8:00am – Practical ocean paddling summary
- This session will involve both flat, open water and surf components.
Oceanpaddler will have a number of Fenn double surf skis available, providing you the opportunity to paddle with the coaches during the paddling camp. You will need to bring along your own surf ski, paddle and safety leash.
$280 per person
Numbers are limited so please book early by emailing Oceanpaddler.
For more information on the trip please call Dean on 0427 171 403.