Event Tracking for The Doctor 2019
With safety for our competitors our number one concern, this year we will again be implementing the Coast Guard SafeTrx App for The Doctor for all competitors to use.
You can watch the SafeTrx 2018 Doctor replay here. https://flotilla.safetrxapp.com/events/op/thedoctor
There has been considerable improvements to the SafeTrx sytem and increased server capacity since last year. The improvements to the systems are further outlined below.
The use of SafeTrx by our competitors is an integral part of our safety plan. It is mandatory that all competitors carry a mobile phone or a VHF radio in the race (as outlined in the Rules and Equipment). If using a mobile phone you must use a tracking app.
SafeTrx is a Smartphone App for both Android & Apple iOS devices that allows you to have your journey recorded and monitored if needed by the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard. Competitors will carry their personal mobile phone in a waterproof pouch during the race using the SafeTrx app Flotilla event function.
SafeTrx will allow the event organiser and spectators to track competitors live GPS location during the event via the web. SafeTrx has recently been used for paddling events in South Africa, Ireland, the UK and Holland with great success. To see it in action have a look at the tracking for the Freedom Paddle in Cape Town earlier this year at https://flotilla.safetrxapp.com/events/sasurfski/freedompaddle and The Chucky event in Sydney here https://flotilla.safetrxapp.com/events/op/csmc
Start using SafeTrx Now in Training!
Download the SafeTrx app, register an account and become familiar with how the app works during training. For paddling, we recommend using the TRACK ONLY mode and sharing it with a friend or family member before you head out for a paddle. “Track Only” trips still record your trip on the handset (and to your trip history on the boaters website) and allows you to review and replay it later. Unlike “sail plan” trips, no ETA is provided and Coast Guard do not monitor your trip.
Instructions for The Doctor
Download the step by step instructions on using SafeTrx for training and for The Doctor.
The Flotilla Event Code to use on race day is DOCTOR19. Check the instructions for details.
Improvements to SafeTrx
- Increased server campacity to allow for large numbers of competitors.
- SafeTrx Flotilla Emergency Call Notifications – SafeTrx have been working closely with race event organisers on enhancing the technical and operational aspects of the SafeTrx Flotilla product. One such enhancement to emerge from this collaboration is notifying the SafeTrx Flotilla event organiser and the event emergency contact if a race participant makes an emergency call during the race and the location of that person. This helps race organisers co-ordinate with local SAR (Search and Rescue) authorities to help support rescue missions, as well as giving them the capability to respond with their own safety assets on scene.
- 5 Minute Tracking Mode – Previously the tracking interval choices for Track Only mode was 30 minutes, 10 minutes and Continuous. A 5-minute interval mass ben added. This mode allows for a more accurate track with less battery usage than Continuous mode. The location is retrieved every 5 minutes regardless of whether the end user is stationary or moving. The 5 minute interval can be adjusted to other recording intervals throughout the trip.
Watch the Video
Available on the SafeTrx website here https://coastguard.com.au/safetrx
Available through your online account here https://safetrx.coastguard.com.au/
Advantages of using SafeTrx
- Using SafeTrx may save your life!
- Safety officials can track your position in real time during the race knowing where you are at all times.
- If you get into trouble you can activate the Call for Help button which enables you to call 000 or Aust Coast Guard – your exact GPS location will be available to them so the safety vessels can come to your aid
- Competitors can watch a replay of the event and see step by step how they raced against other paddlers and compare the lines they took against the winners
- Spectators can watch The Doctor in real time via this website https://flotilla.safetrxapp.com/events/op/doctor2019 – let your friends and family know so they can watch you race.
- Share your trip with your friends or family who will be at the finish line so they can see when you are due to finish the race
If you have any questions please contact Oceanpaddler