Rules and Equipment
Updated: 6th April 2017
All competitors must abide by the following rules:
- All competitors must wear and approved Australian Standard AS 4758 or International Standard ISO 12402 Lifejacket.
- All surf skis , outrigger, plastic and sea kayak paddlers must wear an approved Lifejacket Level 50 . An approved Lifejacket Level 50S will only be permitted with a Hi-Vis shirt over the top. No black or dull colour lifejackets will be permitted. No bum bag inflatable lifejackets are permitted.
- SUP and Prone Paddleboard paddlers only are permitted to wear an approved Lifejacket Level 100 bum bag inflatable lifejackets.
- All paddlers must wear a piece of HI-VIS clothing – this can be a HI-VIS Lifejacket or Hat.
- All paddlers must be attached to their craft via a safety leash.
- All paddlers must have at least one current or unexpired orange smoke flare attached to their craft/person.
- A mobile phone is strongly recommended with event contacts in your phone (Dean 0427 171 403 / Yanda 0414 454 648).
- Water is strongly recommended to be carried and consumed during the race.
- All paddlers must attend the two pre-event briefings held on Friday evening at Sorrento SLSC and immediately prior to race start on race day.
- All paddlers must assist other competitors in difficulty when on the course.
- All paddlers and their private escort boats must stay well clear of all commercial operations and other vessels at all times when on the water.
- Any competitors with private escort boats must be operated by registered certified skippers. NOTE: We are required by water way authorities to notify them of all private escort boats. Please email or phone us with the boat name and type, and name and phone number of the skipper.
There will be equipment scrutineering at registration on Friday and on Rottnest Island. Any competitor that does not abide by the above rules and equipment requirements will be automatically disqualified.