Last updated: 15th November 2017
The program of events will be updated regularly. All times and events are subject to change. Please ensure you attend the race briefing on Friday evening for final instructions.
The event is scheduled to race on Saturday 25th November 2017 starting at Rottnest Island and finishing at Sorrento Beach. This will be reversed if strong off-shore conditions prevail. In the event of dangerous conditions on Saturday the event will move to Sunday 26th November.
Below is the proposed program for The Doctor. Please ensure you read the notes below the table for important information regarding each activity.
|Friday 24th November||12.00 – 6.30pm||Compulsory Registration & equipment scruitineering||Sorrento Surf Life Saving Club|
|2.30pm – 5.00pm||Loading of craft on barge
Pelagic Marine Services – 24 Rous Head Rd, North Fremantle. (Map below)
**Do not turn up before 2.30pm as the barge will not be ready.
** Read notes below regarding details.
|Approx 5.30pm||Dinner available at Sorrento Surf Life Saving Club.
Pasta, salad and garlic bread buffet for $20.
|Sorrento Surf Life Saving Club|
|6.30pm||Compulsory Event Briefing||Sorrento Surf Life Saving Club|
|Saturday 25th November||7.30and 8.00am||Competitors travel to Rottnest Island on the ferry. Ferry departs Hillary Marina for Rottnest Island with Rottnest Fast Ferries. Click here to book.||Hillarys Marina, Sorrento|
|Approx 8.15am and 8.45am||Ferry arrives on Rottnest Island. Competitors assist with moving craft from the barge to the beach.||Main Jetty, Rottnest Island|
|Approx 9.30am onwards||Competitors prepare craft for race – attach rudders and sponsor and race stickers to craft||Rottnest Island|
|As advised by Race Director||Race Check-In & Equipment Check||Army Jetty, Rottnest Island.|
|As advised by Race Director||Compulsory Event Briefing||Army Jetty, Rottnest Island.|
|As advised by Race Director||Event Start – 3 waves
** Please note this may change. Final details will be provided by race director at briefing.
|Army Jetty, Rottnest Island|
|Afternoon – time dependent on race start time||Finish||Sorrento Beach Surf Life Saving Club|
Food available at surf club – The ‘Doctor Burger’ for $10 along with hot buckets of chips for $3.50
|Sorrento Beach Surf Life Saving Club|
Friday 24th November 2017
Loading of Barge for your craft to go to Rottnest Island
Oceanpaddler will be organising a barge to transport your craft over to Rottnest Island for the race.
Barge loading will take place on Friday afternoon (24th Nov) from 2.30pm to 5.00pm at Pelagic Marine Services – 24 Rous Head Rd, North Fremantle. Same location as last year. See map below.
PLEASE DO NOT TURN UP BEFORE 2.30pm AS THE BARGE WILL NOT BE READY.
- For skis and OC1s all rudders must be removed prior to loading
- For SUP’s all fins must be removed
- Bring old straps to tie your craft on (you may not get these back)
- Bring some light padding to the barge such as old bits of foam etc
It is a big job getting all the craft on the barge so please be patient when we do this.
NOTE: If you take your craft in a cover you must arrange for the cover to be taken back to the mainland yourself. We will not be taking anything back to the mainland for you.
You must have booked and paid for craft transport during the online entry process. An additional late fee will be charged for anyone who does not pre-book and just turns up on the day to load their craft (pending spots available).
For those that have hired skis from Oceanpaddler, we will advise how your ski will be loaded on the barge when you pick up your hire ski. Please ensure you have booked craft transport as this is not included in your hire fee.
Registration & Briefing at Sorrento Beach SLSC
12pm onwards with a final race briefing at approx 6.30pm.
Food will be available at the surf club from approx 5.30pm. Pasta, salad and garlic bread buffet for $20.
- All competitors are required to attend the registration and briefing.
- Registration will open from 12pm to 6.30pm.
- We recommend registering before taking your craft down to the barge at Fremantle.
- Scrutineering of mandatory equipment will take place at registration. You must bring with you to registration your lifejacket, leash and flare to be checked off and tagged.
- A final race briefing will take place at 6.30pm. All competitors must attend for final instructions.
- If you have entered online you must still register on Friday and collect your timing chip and rego bag.
- If you collect your timing chip and then decide not to do the event on race day you must call the event director Dean Gardiner on 0427 171 403. This is an important safety requirement. Once you collect your timing chip we will assume you have started the race.
- You can enter the ‘Doctor’ on Friday, however, a late fee will be charged. We encourage everyone to enter online before midnight Thursday.
- If you require a Flare you can order one when entering online and collect at the registration (mandatory equipment).
- IMPORTANT NOTE: NO ALCOHOL is allowed outside of the club hall and BBQ area as this will be breaching the clubs licence policy. This includes no alcohol on the outside grass area. Thank you for your cooperation.
Saturday 25th November 2017 (Race Day)
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you register on Friday night and decide not to do the race you must call the event director Dean Gardiner on 0427 171 403 to advise you have withdrawn.
Breakfast available at Sorrento Beach SLSC from 7am.
Ferry to Rottnest Island
Competitors travel to Rottnest Island by ferry. This takes approx 40mins.
Rottnest Fast Ferries are our preferred Ferry carrier. The ferry departs from Hillarys Marina at 7.30 and 8.00am. You must book directly with Rottnest Fast Ferries. Click here for more info.
We want all competitors to be on Rottnest Island as early as possible as the event may start anytime from 10am onwards depending on shipping movements and conditions.
Make sure you take the following to Rottnest Island:
- Timing chip – to be worn on your ankle
- Rudder for your ski and tools to attached your rudder
- Fluids for the race (you can purchase drinks at Rottnest if needed but it is strongly recommended to take water with you for both pre and during the race)
- Sponsor and race number stickers for your craft that will be provided at registration
Take minimal gear as what you take to Rottnest you will need to paddle back with! Do not take anything other than what you are paddling in or what can be thrown away on Rottnest as we are unable to bring any gear back to the mainland. Please ensure you use rubbish bins at Rottnest.
There will be equipment scrutineering on Rottnest Island. Any competitor that does not abide by the stated Rules and Equipment requirements will be automatically disqualified and prohibited from racing.
On Rottnest Island
When you arrive on Rottnest you must get your craft off the barge. The barge will be at the Main Jetty where the ferry arrives. You are responsible for looking after your own craft.
You can install your rudders at the Main Jetty and paddle over (south) to Army Jetty where the start will be.
You must place the race number stickers and sponsor stickers on your craft once you get to Rottnest. These will be provided on Friday at registration.
Race Check-In & Equipment Check
All competitors will be required to check in at Rottnest Island to the officials. This will be done prior to the race briefing over at Army Jetty. You must check in and show your mandatory equipment that was checked at registration on Friday ( lifejacket, leash and flare). Any competitors that fails to check-in will be disqualified and unable to race.
This will take place prior to the start at Army Jetty. See map below.
Army Jetty, Thompson Bay, Rottnest Island. See map below
The race will start immediately in front of the Army Jetty. The course will pass to the South of both Phillip Rock and Centaur Reef South Cardinal Marker. After rounding the Centaur Reef South Cardinal Marker it will be a direct line to Sorrento Beach. The details of the finish will be explained at the briefing. Check the Course page.
The start time is dependent on shipping movements and conditions and can take place anytime from 10am onwards. Therefore please ensure you get to Rottnest Island as early as possible.
We plan to have 3 start waves.
- Wave 1: SUPs & Prone Paddleboards
- Wave 2: OC1s ,plastics and ladies
- Wave 3: All other categories
Sorrento Beach, outside Surf Life Saving Club.
Approx 6.00/6.30pm at Sorrento Beach SLSC.
Sorrento SLSC will have food and drinks available to purchase. Please support the club that supports our event and join us for dinner and drinks.
Oceanpaddler contacts during the event:
Dean Gardiner: 0427 171 403
Yanda Morison: 0414 454 648
Sherene LaGasse: 0427 174 472