The final course will be dictated by the wind and weather conditions on event day in favour of downwind conditions. The final course will be decided by race morning with information updated on this website and via Facebook.
This schedule is subject to change. Please note that the location of registration and start point will be dependent on wind and weather conditions. Final details will be provided on race morning.
Friday 8th December
- 2-5pm – Registration and Scrutineering at Oceanpaddler. Please bring your lifejacket and safety leash to registration to be checked. Oceanpaddler is at 410 Pittwater Rd, North Manly
Saturday 9th December
- 7.00am – Final course decided and information provided on website & Facebook page.
- 12.00pm – Registration and Scrutineering opens at event start location. Please bring your lifejacket and safety leash to registration to be checked.
- 1.15pm – Event Briefing
- 1.30pm – Event Start – please note that this may vary.
- There will be a cut off enforced at Newport Reef. Cut off time will be advised at registration and briefing
- Presentations will take place after the event
Race Start Times
Oceanpaddler race Director will provide updates on weather conditions in the lead up to the event. Race start timings may vary on the conditions. All competitors will be updated on these timings.
Weather Conditions can vary significantly and the safety of competitors, safety crew and the general public will be considered by the Oceanpaddler Race Director.
The Oceanpaddler Race Director will advise on adverse weather conditions or any matter which gives rise to a safety concern. This may result in the race being modified or cancelled.
Scrutineering of compulsory equipment (lifejackets and leashes) will take place at Registration that can be done either on Friday afternoon at Oceanpaddler or on race morning (see event program above).
All competitors must ensure that their equipment passes scrutineering as outlined below.
- All Surf Ski, SUP and OC1 competitors must wear an approved minimum Level 50 Lifejacket. Your lifejacket must be HI-VIS or brightly coloured for visibility. No black or dull colour lifejackets will be permitted. An approved Level 50S Lifejacket can only be worn with a Hi-Vis shirt over the top. No inflatable bum bag style lifejackets are permitted for Ski, SUP and OC1 paddlers.
- Prone Paddleboard competitors only are permitted to wear an approved Level 100/150 Inflatable bum bag Lifejacket. Oceanpaddler will have these available to purchase or hire. Please contact us prior.
- Click here for a list of approved lifejackets
- Hi-Vis Clothing – All paddlers must wear a piece of HI-VIS clothing – this can be a HI-VIS lifejacket or hat. For Prone paddleboarders this could be a HI-VIS shirt.
- Safety Leash – All competitors must be attached to their craft via a safety leash.
- Timing Chip – All competitors must wear the electronic timing chip on their ankle (right or left ankle). This will be provided at registration.
- Mobile Phone – a mobile phone in a waterproof case is strongly recommended with event contacts in your phone. Event numbers will be provided at registration.
- Water – we recommend a minimum of 1L of water to be carried during the race.
- Sun protection – hat and sunscreen are strongly recommended.
- Road ID App – we recommend using the Road ID App with a mobile phone in a waterproof case. The app allows you to select contacts (friends and family) that can track you in real time during the race. In addition, there is a stationary alert function which will SMS or email your notify contacts if you remain stationary for more than 5 minutes. Ensure you test the app in training and become familiar with its use. The app is free and available on both Apple Store and Google Play. https://www.roadid.com/ecrumbs.
In any life-threatening emergency call 000.
All competitors must abide by the following event rules:
- Wear/carry the mandatory equipment as specified above.
- Register for the event either on Friday afternoon or on the morning of the race and collect your timing chip.
- Attend the pre-race briefing held prior to the event start.
- Stop and help any other competitor/s in difficulty whilst on the course.
- Follow the event course at all times.
- Follow the direction of water safety officials at all times when on the water.
- Give way to larger vessels when on the water at all times.
- If a competitor withdraws mid-event they must notify the event officials either in person or by phone to be formally withdrawn from the event. Event contact numbers will be available at registration.
Ski & OC1 Categories
The AORS Categories will be used and points will be awarded. Age categories are as at the first AORS event 9/9/17.
- Ski Open – Male and Female
- Ski Under 19 – Male and Female
- Ski Over 40 – Male and Female
- Ski Over 50 – Male and Female
- Ski Over 60 – Male
- SLSA Spec Ski’s – Male and Female
- OC1 – Male and Female
- Double – all double craft types
- Mixed Double – Any mixed team of a male and female competitor or at least one female, all double craft types
SUP & Prone Paddleboard Categories
- SUP Open – Male and Female
- SUP Over 40 – Male and Female
- SUP Over 50 – Male
- SUP 14ft – Male
- Prone Paddleboard Open – Male and Female
- Prone Paddleboard Over 40 – Male
Important Category Notes:
- Age categories are as at the first AORS event 9/9/17.
- All competitors are automatically entered in the Open category of their discipline. For example a 45 year old SUP Paddler enters the SUP Over 40 he will also be entered in the SUP Open category. Same applies for the Skis.
- Paddlers can also enter two categories if they wish to gain placings and AORS points across multiple categories. Eg a 48 year old Surf Ski Paddler is paddling a SLSA Spec Ski he can enter both the Ski Over 40 category and the SLSA Spec Ski category so will effectively be entered in three categories: Ski Over 40, SLSA Spec Ski and Ski Open. You must enter the event twice in the two categories you wish to gain the AORS points Eg Ski Over 40 and SLSA Spec Ski.
- For prizes and awards, there must be at least 5 entries in the category. Where there are less than 5 entries then those competitors will be moved to the next most relevant category.
Early Bird entry is up to and including the 24th Nov 2017
Standard entry is from 25th Nov to 8th Dec 2017
Late entry is on event day 9th Dec 2017
Individuals (except Under 19s)
- Early Bird $70
- Standard $90
- Late $120
Under 19s Individuals
- Early Bird $35
- Standard $45
- Late $60
- Early Bird $100
- Standard $130
- Late $160
Online entries will close at 10am on Friday 8th Dec 2017. You can enter at the Oceanpaddler shop on Friday afternoon between 2-5pm. The standard entry fee applies. (Oceanpaddler is located at 410 Pittwater Rd, North Manly).
Entry Refunds & Cancellations
Entry cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the event date when a refund (less 20% administration fee) will be made. Refunds will not be given after this date. Please send requests for refunds in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.